In a survey sent out by
Sony, they reassure recipients, "We are constantly looking to improve our online service so that it meets all of
your expectations." They follow with a list of 33 questions, many asking for responses to features identical to
those on Microsoft's lauded Xbox Live service.
While Sony insisted the PlayStation 2's publisher-run model
for online play was the best solution, these questions confirm that they're considering targeting Microsoft's service
with a much more robust online package. Some features are above and beyond what Microsoft currently offer, including
USB keyboard support, screenshot support, a web browser, and EyeToy compatible lobbies.
Read on for the full
[Thanks, Obscene Truth and Ned
1. On a typical day, how often do you play games online?
2. Do you own a PSP?
3. What is your
preferred Online gaming format?
4. What Online Gaming Formats do you own?
5. Do you think you will
purchase a PS3?
6. A single identity and password for all online games?
7. Global Lobbies allowing you to
play against anyone in the world?
8. Game Lobbies should be language based. (English, French, German etc)
9. Game Lobbies should be based geographically.
10. A standard, interactive lobby structure for all games.
11. Headset support in all online games?
12. A QWERTY keyboard as standard for messaging.
Keyboard support for every online title.
14. Friend List allowing you to see online/offline status?
Friend List allowing you to see what game your friends are playing?
16. Private Messaging across games?
17. A feedback rating allowing you to choose who you play against?
18. Ability to remove players out via a
19. Game Host has the ability to remove players?
20. Automatically filter opponents based
on connection quality?
21. The ability to download music, game demos and other content?
22. Ability to
access the dedicated game forum whilst in game?
23. Ability to take screenshots during the game and share them
24. Ability to take movie clips in game and share them with friends?
25. Ability to play my
music during a game?
26. An in game grief reporting system?
27. Ability to access and manage your gaming
profile via PC, PSP as well as PS3?
28. Community features without the need for a game disc.
to choose an Avatar for all online titles.
30. The inclusion of a web browser.
31. A specific lobby only
32. Service should feature a Global Ranking system for each game.
33. Game Lobbies should be