Not only are ads going to be scattered across the virtual HOME world, they will generate a steady source of income and continue to keep our less-than-perfect PlayStation Network completely free. What we wonder is how advertisers will approach this medium -- since it's a virtual world and not a linear video game, they can do pretty much whatever they want, once they've given Sony the cash. Here are a few ideas what we can expect and feel free to add your own:
- Fully 3D advertisements -- like holograms. Nothing like a 3D Victoria's Secret model acting as a fountain in the middle of a park.
- Billboards -- the staple of advertising
- Messages/Signs -- we don't mean signs on the street. We mean messages or signs as in flooding your virtual inbox, mailbox, whatever way people can leave a note at your "personal space".
- Items/Effects -- stock a fridge in your personal space with Red Bull energy drinks for free, thanks to the advertisers. Better examples await, but I'm getting aggravated.
- Advertiser Plants -- not the botanical kind, either. We mean advertisers that actually create a HOME account, make friends, and push products. Viral marketing, if we may.
We'd go on, but you really should do yourselves a favor and read the article from GameDaily.biz -- it's really important since this is an issue we'll all be dealing with in a few months. Perhaps some won't be bothered at all. Others will get kind of sick of seeing a magazine spread out in front of them when they just want to play some LittleBigPlanet.