Whether the game will retain the futuristic elements its known for has yet to be announced, but we can only say this: don't let it suck so hard. While critics and fans hailed Star Ocean 2 and Star Ocean: Till The End of Time as great games... they just didn't do it for me. Tri-Ace is normally a fantastic developer in my eyes and Square Enix was smart to snatch them up. However, they've got to learn a few things about making games that Star Ocean generally misses out on:
- Don't drag out a story that's ended. Star Ocean 2 did this pretty horribly once you reach the second disc. All you have to do is fight the 13 whatever-they-were, but no. Tons of little nonsensical quests sprouted up to drag the playtime out.
- Hire better writers (I'm always available). We're not talking about the basic storyline, here. We mean dialogue. If you play Star Ocean: TTEoT, think about what each character is saying. Here's an example:
Feel free to add your own issues to this list, but those are my main concerns. If those are addressed, I'd gladly give Star Ocean IV a shot. We'll come back with more details as they surface.
Get the idea? Everyone had to question every single line of dialogue everyone else said. It was stupid.
- Dude: "We need to get the random item to advance the story!"
- Lady: "The random item to advance the story?"
- Dude: "Yes, it has great power to make this game not suck!"
- Lady: "Great power?"
- Dude 2: "It is rumored it destroyed Nick Doerr's interest in this title."
- Lady 2: "His interest?"