As pointed out by blogger Andrew Sullivan, a full 48 realms in the popular online game have a player-characters named after Republican candidate Ron Paul (player names must be unique to a realm). The WoW naming support for Paul isn't that surprising given the recent in-game rally held in his honor in Whisperwind's IronForge. Paul runs well ahead of his closest competitor, Democrat Barack Obama, who shares a name with 36 WoW characters. No other candidate breaks the ten-character mark in a search of World of Warcraft info. resource The Armory.
While tracking WoW's presidential naming race is fun and all, it probably has very little actual value in predicting nationwide voting preferences. After all, there are 71 characters named Trogdor, and no one really expects him to burninate across the 2008 elections.
Read on for a complete list of WoW's presidential candidate name counts, as of press time.
(Thanks to WowInsider's Elizabeth Harper for help with this story)
World of Warcraft character name count
(Last name statistics are included just for fun -- some are obviously more common than others)
- RonPaul: 47 (57 for Paul alone)
- MittRomney: 9 (25 for Romney alone)
- JohnMcCain: 4 (27 for McCain alone)
- FredThompson: 4 (81 for Thompson alone)
- RudyGiuliani: 3 (9 for Giuliani alone)
- MikeHuckabee: 2 (30 for Huckabee alone)
- BarackObama: 36 (69 for Obama alone)
- JohnEdwards: 4 (40 for Edwards alone)
- JoeBiden: 1 (4 for Biden alone)
- ChrisDodd: 0 (40 for Dodd alone)
- BillRichardson: 0* (33 for Richardson alone)
- DennisKucinich: 0* (4 for Kucinich alone)
- HillaryClinton: 0* (0 for Clinton alone**)
** - The name "Clinton" seems to be blocked for characters on WoW servers.