In the world of professional game blogging, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: the bloggers who investigate the stories and readers who make silly comments. These are the first group's stories.
- Name: Griffin McElroy
- Job Position: Weekend Editor/Japanese Hardware Sales
- Past Experience/Education: Broadcast Journalism major at Marshall University, gaming feature contributor for Herald-Dispatch (a widely circulated local paper), and Editor for a Herald-Dispatch video game blog (the quaintly titled "Blog: The Video Game"). I've also been involved with a plethora of local journalism enterprises in my fair city, including an indie rock shift at the college radio station, a stint at the college paper, a PR gig with Marshall's alumni association, and an Editor in Chief position at my high school Broadcast News program.
- Life Outside of the 'Stiq: I'm a political blogger with the MTV Choose or Lose Street Team '08, where I cover the national election as it happens from the state of West Virginia. I'm entering my senior year of college and, unsurprisingly, play no small amount of video games.
- Why I'm blogging: To pay for my unslakable hunger for synthetically crafted methamphetamines. Also, because my infatuation with journalism only applies when I'm writing about things I care about, i.e. video games. It sure beats the hell out of covering weekly city council meetings or sports (ewwwww).
- First Game Experience: At the tender age of three, I sat on the corner of my brothers' bunk bed, and would put myself through the unforgiving gauntlet of Super Mario Bros. I often claim that I beat the game before I could read, the truthiness of which has come under much scrutiny over the years.
- Favorite Games: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Blue, Burnout 3, World of Warcraft, the Quest for Glory series, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Bioshock, GTA: San Andreas, You Have To Burn The Rope
- Favorite Animated Film, Graphic Novel, Type of Sandwich, Olsen Twin, Soda, Travel Author, Former President, and Contestant in Cycle 10 of America's Next Top Model: "The Iron Giant", Watchmen, pepperoni pizza sub, Mary-Kate, Cheerwine, Anthony Bourdain, James K. Polk, and Katarzyna, respectively.
- What's with the Tattoo? Glad you (didn't) ask
There's more to come
every Tuesday and Thursday.