Between traveling and "quality family time," many Americans are being torn away from their beloved consoles due to the Thanksgiving holiday. So, before hitting the road, it might be worth picking up the well-reviewed
DS remake of Chrono Trigger
, one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit era (or ever, according to what company you keep). Although the reviews are clearly written from the standpoint of a 20- or 30-something with memories of playing the original on the SNES or PlayStation, they seem to agree that the game has held up over time.
- GamesRadar (100/100) "If you've never played Chrono Trigger, you owe it to yourself to finally give this gaming touchstone a whirl. And if you have played it before, you can play it again, for no other reason than to see how new it all still feels. We would normally hesitate to give any rerelease such a high score, but this is the ultimate edition of a true classic."
- 1UP (95/100): "For fans, the reason to pick up Chrono Trigger is simply because it's available, intact, and enhanced. For newcomers, it's because the game has easily withstood the test of time."
- Game Informer (95/100): "It's a true classic, and playing it should be a government-mandated rite of passage for any role-playing fan."
- IGN (88/100): "If you've never played Chrono Trigger before, buy this game. If you're a die-hard fan and want to support one of the greatest games of all time, buy this game. If you're having trouble validating a $40 purchase for what is ultimately the same game, it's the wrong choice for you, and your cash is better spent elsewhere."
- GameSpot (85/100): "Chrono Trigger is a fantastic synthesis of excellent storytelling, game design, music, and gameplay that has withstood the test of time and should be considered required playing for any fan of role-playing games. Though its extra content is hit or miss and it's essentially a direct port of a game released 13 years ago, the DS version is easily the definitive edition of this masterpiece,"