MLB 09 The Show is Sony's exclusive first-party baseball title and it sold an impressive 305,000 units on PS3 alone, making it the best-selling sports game of the month. As the #6 selling game of the month, The Show franchise has grown significantly. Patrick Seybold of SCEA told us that "MLB'09 The Show saw an increase of more than 45% growth from its 2008 version in North America."
With Killzone 2 selling over a million copies worldwide, Sony can at least tout their growing software sales. See Seybold's full statement after the break.
"The best part of what PlayStation has to offer this year is a relentless string of AAA games. We've lined up mass entertainment appeal from the hard core gamer who can't wait to get their hands on a game like MAG, the industry's first 256-player shooter, to the casual gamer who wants to take their Rock Band skills on the road via the PSP. We're also seeing exciting preliminary numbers for PlayStation 2 with the recent price cut and we couldn't be more pleased with the continued entertainment value and gameplay the platform provides even in its ninth year. We've got a confident plan ahead and have many cards yet to deal, so consumers can rest assured there's a lot to look forward to from PlayStation this new fiscal year."
-- Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA
Top 10 Games of March 2009
1. Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 - Capcom - 938K
2. Pokemon Platinum - DS - Nintendo - 805K
3. Halo Wars - Xbox 360 - Microsoft - 639K
4. Resident Evil 5 - PlayStation 3 - Capcom - 585K
5. Wii Fit - Wii - Nintendo - 541K
6. MLB '09 The Show - PlayStation 3 - Sony - 305K
7. Killzone 2 - PlayStation 3 - Sony - 296K
8. Wii Play - Wii - Nintendo - 281K
9. Mario Kart Wii - Wii - Nintendo - 278K
10. Major League Baseball 2K9 - Xbox 360 - Take 2 - 205K
* Includes Collector's, Limited and Bundled Editions