Also like Mass Effect, Dragon Age 2 is ditching the original's roll-your-own character creation system, complete with unique origin stories for all the different playable races, for a more "cinematic" scripted hero named Hawke. BioWare's Chris Priestley addressed the community on the official forums, stating, "While I do enjoy having fun with our fans, I am not joking about this. The player character is a human (either male or female) with the last name of Hawke. Dragon Age 2 is the story of Hawke." Then he quotes from the press release:
So in Dragon Age 2, there will be only one origin story, that of the male or female Hawke, and you won't be importing and playing as your old character. Like Mass Effect, we imagine we'll be tasked with the first name and look of the character, which already has our creative juices moving. How about "Lady Hawke" for you Michelle Pfeiffer fans? Or maybe "Tomclancys Hawke" for the gamers out there. "I'm bad-ass warrior Hawke, and this is my favorite post on the internet."Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke, a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age. Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke's rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor. Featuring an all-new story spanning 10 years, players will help tell that tale by making tough moral choices, gathering the deadliest of allies, amassing fame and fortune, and sealing their place in history. The way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever.
Update: Alright, we're gathering some of your best name suggestions after the break. Join us!
- Evil Dan suggests "Hudson Hawke" – how could we have missed that one?
- Hunter2223 cheekily submits "Mike Hawke" – ... give it a second. Real mature, right?
- sonofman name checks "Thunder Hawke" – there is a new combat system, after all.
- DrvThruPnk said "NightElfMo Hawke" – that's about as close as you'll get to playing an elf, we think.
- (Unverified) drops some Airwolf on our faces with "Stringellow Hawke" – we <3 Jan-Michael Vincent.
- Capaneus shreds out "Tony Hawke" – some skateboarding minigames, perhaps?
- swooded snarks "Faux Hawke" – for the hero that won't go quite all the way.