Ubisoft says that the results of global climate change depicted in-game will require players to take advantage of "architectural breakthroughs" in order to grow their nations. By setting the title in the future, "the development team wasn't restricted by historical boundaries and was able to dream bigger than ever before."
You'd think eco-disasters would have put the kibosh on industrialization, but in fact, players will get to side with either the "pave the planet" Tycoons or the "the greener the better" Ecos from the outset. A third faction, one that can't be bothered to separate the recycling or install compact fluorescent light bulbs, was deemed too apathetic to make the cut.
Award-winning Franchise Offers the Richest Anno Experience Ever
San Francisco – April 4, 2011– Today, Ubisoft announced Anno 2070, the latest iteration of the award-winning real-time strategy and simulation franchise. Set to release in Winter 2011 for PC, Anno 2070 moves the Anno franchise into a new era, taking players into a world inspired by today's challenges and tomorrow's technologies.
Developed by Related Designs in collaboration with Blue Byte, Anno 2070 takes place in a near-future environment where climate change has forced humanity to adapt to rising sea levels that have left stretches of once-fertile land completely inhospitable. Players need to master new technologies while facing numerous ecological challenges to build their empires. Anno 2070 offers players the ability to be architects of the future and create the world of tomorrow.
"Anno 2070 is a very ambitious game that will feel both familiar and fresh to fans of the series," said Adam Novickas, director of marketing at Ubisoft. "Due to the game's futuristic setting, the development team wasn't restricted by historical boundaries and was able to dream bigger than ever before. It's a new take on a great franchise that both newcomers and longtime fans will love."
Key Features of Anno 2070:
- A new era: while adhering to the fundamentals that made the Anno franchise a success, the near-future setting will bring numerous new gameplay mechanics, architectural breakthroughs, and all new challenges. Additionally, players will be able to build massive cities, the scope of which has never been seen in prior Anno games.
- A dynamic world: the world of Anno 2070 will evolve differently depending on each player's playing style and choices. Players' decisions will have an impact on the environment, the architectural look of their world, and the needs of their populations, leading them to refine and better understand the impact of their personal approaches to managing the world's resources.
- Factions: players will be able to select between two factions when building their empires. Players can choose between an industrial and efficient course by joining the Tycoons or a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly direction by siding with the Ecos.
- Rich and varied game modes:
o Single player campaign: a story-driven single player mode with a deep variety of challenges.
o Single player "continuous mode": the renowned endless game mode where the objective is to build the biggest civilization possible without time constraints.
o Multiplayer and Online features: Anno 2070 will include innovative online modes offering players brand new possibilities to get in touch with gamers all around the world.
- Outstanding graphics: A new version of the game engine, developed specifically by Related Designs for Anno 2070, allows the game to deliver a breathtaking visual experience never before seen in the Anno franchise.