With Madden NFL 13 launching in less than a week, EA Sports unleashed its latest category of player ratings for the game. The video above details the top ten overall defenders in the game to start the season.
Notably missing from the top ten list are defenders from the Super Bowl champion New York Giants team, such as Jason Pierre-Paul. Even considering his offseason injury, it's a curious decision to leave the 2011 Defensive Player of the Year winner Terrell Suggs out of the top ten list as well, while putting his fellow Baltimore Ravens teammates Haloti Ngata and Ed Reed in the mix.
As usual, EA Sports began casting votes for the top-rated defenders in speed, tackling, hit power, and man coverage on their Facebook page this week. Currently, Arizona Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson is winning in the speed category, Patrick Willis of the 49ers has a slim lead over Ray Lewis of the Ravens in the hit power category and also is in the lead for the tackling category. Darrelle Revis, New York Jets cornerback and number one defender in the game is leading the vote for the highest man coverage rating.
Lastly, EA Sports recently released a complete list of ratings for every receiver in the game. Take a look at a more thorough breakdown of the top ten wide receivers and tight ends in Madden 13 and their overall, speed, acceleration, strength, awareness, and catching ratings after the break.
- (DET) Calvin Johnson Jr. (99) - 95 speed, 94 acceleration, 78 strength, 90 awareness, 97 catching
- (NE) Rob Gronkowski (97) - 83 speed, 87 acceleration, 87 strength, 82 awareness, 92 catching
- (ARI) Larry Fitzgerald (97) - 89 speed, 89 acceleration, 76 strength, 97 awareness, 98 catching
- (HOU) Andre Johnson (97) - 94 speed, 93 acceleration, 79 strength, 93 awareness, 97 catching
- (SF) Vernon Davis (95) - 90 speed, 91 acceleration, 88 strength, 85 awareness, 85 catching
- (NO) Jimmy Graham (95) - 85 speed, 89 acceleration, 79 strength, 84 awareness, 95 catching
- (CAR) Steve Smith (95) - 96 speed, 95 acceleration, 67 strength, 93 awareness, 95 catching
- (NE) Wes Welker (95) - 86 speed, 99 acceleration, 55 strength, 99 awareness, 98 catching
- (ATL) Roddy White (94) - 92 speed, 93 acceleration, 69 strength, 94 awareness, 92 catching
- (NYG) Hakeem Nicks (94) - 92 speed, 93 acceleration, 78 strength, 84 awareness, 95 catching