Despite ending with musical performances that closely resembled a form of torture, the Spike VGX show packed some decent surprises! Joel McHale and Geoff Keighley endured
three hours of nonstop programming, and they only seemed to want to murder each other a handful of times. Let's recap everything that was shown:
- Telltale Games' success with the first season of The Walking Dead seems to have granted them a Golden Key to any partnership they desire. Naturally, they've revealed Tales From The Borderlands, a collaboration with Gearbox Software that will be set in the Borderlands universe. They've also started work on a Game of Thrones series, which will be based off the HBO show. Both projects are slated for 2014.
- Cranky Kong has had it with these youngsters and their rambunctious romps through jungles, so much so that he's decided to chase them all as the fourth playable character in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Cranky must have gotten a few good strikes in with his cane for that delay, too, because the Kong family has settled on braving the Wii U's incoming frost on February 21.
- Titanfall had already shown a decent arsenal for blowing up buildings with, but in case you doubted its capabilities, Respawn Entertainment debuted two new mech types tonight. Aside from the Titans, Ogre and Stryder mechs will spread destruction across Titanfall's cityscapes. Ogres will be slow, clunky and powerful, while Stryders will focus on outrunning everyone on the field.
- Hello Games, the developer of the Joe Danger series, brought along the show's biggest surprise - No Man's Sky is a procedurally generated, exploration-focused sci-fi game planned for 2014. The game's trailer showcased vivid landscapes before blasting its way through asteroids in spacecrafts.
- Elijah Wood will join the cast of Broken Age as the first half of the adventure game debuts in January via Steam Early Access.
- As we suspected earlier today, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will bundle 2013's reboot with prettier graphics and all of its multiplayer DLC on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The Definitive Edition will once again find ancient, collectable dishware alongside an island's terrifying inhabitants on January 28.
- Quantum Break developer Remedy revealed Agents of Storm, a game for tablets that will let you wage warfare on the go. Agents of Storm is planned to launch in early 2014.
- The Division is coming late next year, but you can check out its pretty engine effects right now in a new trailer. Physics, particles and snow all confirmed as next-gen exclusives.