"Hardware sales doubled in July 2014 (vs. July 2013), stemming from growth in eighth generation console sales which offset declines in seventh generation console and portable hardware," states analyst Liam Callahan in the latest NPD report. Callahan adds that combined sales of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after nine months of availability are now nearly 80 percent higher than prior generation consoles. The PlayStation 4 continues to be the top-selling new-generation console for the seventh month in a row.
- The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
- Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3)
- FIFA 14 (Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
- Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
- Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Wii U, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Sniper Elite III (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3)
- NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, DS, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
Instead, gamers appear to be scratching their football itch by stabbing clickers in The Last of Us, building things in Minecraft and kicking a ball around the pitch in FIFA 14.