- Telltale Games' success with the first season of The Walking Dead seems to have granted them a Golden Key to any partnership they desire. Naturally, they've revealed Tales From The Borderlands, a collaboration with Gearbox Software that will be set in the Borderlands universe. They've also started work on a Game of Thrones series, which will be based off the HBO show. Both projects are slated for 2014.
- Cranky Kong has had it with these youngsters and their rambunctious romps through jungles, so much so that he's decided to chase them all as the fourth playable character in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Cranky must have gotten a few good strikes in with his cane for that delay, too, because the Kong family has settled on braving the Wii U's incoming frost on February 21.
- Titanfall had already shown a decent arsenal for blowing up buildings with, but in case you doubted its capabilities, Respawn Entertainment debuted two new mech types tonight. Aside from the Titans, Ogre and Stryder mechs will spread destruction across Titanfall's cityscapes. Ogres will be slow, clunky and powerful, while Stryders will focus on outrunning everyone on the field.
- Hello Games, the developer of the Joe Danger series, brought along the show's biggest surprise - No Man's Sky is a procedurally generated, exploration-focused sci-fi game planned for 2014. The game's trailer showcased vivid landscapes before blasting its way through asteroids in spacecrafts.
- Best Action Adventure Game: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
- Best Sports Game: NBA 2K14
- Best Indie Game: Gone Home
- Best Shooter: Bioshock Infinite
- Studio of the Year: Naughty Dog
- Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto 5
The mature RPG series and been announced to have 50 hours of killing monsters, concluding in one of 36 different states.
Respawn's debut effort for the new IP will be exclusive to the PC and Xbox platforms "for the life of the title." Titanfall's raging, acrobatic firefights will be open to all once the game titanfalls onto the PC, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on March 11. While that means there won't be a PS4 version of Titanfall, Respawn has clarified that they intend to bring other projects to the PS4.
Joystiq will also enable its seldom-used second screen experience functionality throughout the show. While tuning into the liveblog here, you can open this link on another device and watch the VGX 2013 show along with us. Let's do this!
Joystiq will also have its second-screen experience enabled throughout the entire broadcast with our liveblog companion post. Join us for all the jokes and resplendent holographic Batvillains.
The Spike VGX 2013 awards will go on for three hours, so check out the schedule for more info.
Unfortunately, there was no mention of which platforms No Man's Sky will launch on nor was there any timeframe for release.
Ports of this year's Tomb Raider reboot were hinted at last month when Xbox One and PS4 versions were listed on Brazil's rating board. At that time, Amazon Italy also briefly hosted a PS4 listing for the Definitive Edition.
Telltale has created new characters for this game; they're not quite Vault Hunters, and a male character shown bares more than a passing resemblance to Borderlands 2 villain Handsome Jack. Coincidence? We'll find out in 2014.
Cross-play enthusiasts can get ready for the release by downloading the next update for Terraria on PS3. 505 Games announcement's encouragement to "keep an eye on the PlayStation Blog" suggests we'll be getting some meatier details soon.
The plan involves paying back the $3.8 million owed to bankruptcy lender Alden Global Capital. Once Atari is operating on its own, it'll also start paying $1.75 million to unsecured creditors over a stretch of three years. Those creditors are actually owed $10.3 million, but their agreement in the plan suggests that they're aware they'll probably never see that full sum again.
It'll be interesting to see if the company can soar again, but we're pretty sure those E.T. cartridges will remain in their sandy slumber.
Those that are in it for the awards will be interested to know that the Game of the Year winner will be crowned during the early parts of the show's second hour. Additionally, the Best Indie Game will be determined near the end of the show's second hour and Character of the Year announced during the third hour. A few of the awards segments will be determined by fan vote, dictating whether the the Best Action Adventure or Best Sports Game will be announced in the first hour and Best Shooter or Best Studio award will presented in the third hour.
The post also notes that releasing the game a month after the release of GTA5 - one of the best-selling games of all-time (probably) - and a month before the PS4 launch and Xbox One launch - which were also two of the highest-selling console launches - might have contributed to the game's lack of sales. The game is also not yet available on Steam, having only recently gotten 96 percent of the votes it needs to break into Greenlight's top 100.
The post asks if gaming is in an "indie bubble where one-good-but-normal-game ([i.e.] not Stanley Parable) can only sell with sales and bundles, not full price." It also asks commenters to voice their reasons why they didn't buy the game so that "next time, if we manage to have a next time," they don't make the same mistakes.
The New Console Age and Black Friday Age are dead, let the Dragon Age begin; Heroes of Dragon Age, a free-to-play strategy game developed and published by EA, is now available on the Google Play and iTunes stores.
Heroes of Dragon Age combines elements from strategy games, collectible card games and traditional RPGs by having players earn - or purchase - a collection of heroes with varying stats, which they then mix and match before heading into combat with them. The characters are rendered as 3D models arranged in lines across the battlefield, and the fights themselves play out automatically.
The next proper installment in the Dragon Age franchise, Dragon Age: Inquisition, isn't due until fall of 2014, so you've got plenty of time to start collecting. No need to be dragon your feet, huh? Huh?
The Joystiq Podcast
Latest episode: Thursday, November 21st, 2013
Posted on Dec 7th 2013 8:25PM
Posted on Dec 7th 2013 8:01PM
Posted on Dec 7th 2013 7:33PM