Capcom continues its quest to roll out a new Mega Man game in the eShop every week in August with Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge, a GBA-exclusive spinoff in the Battle Network subseries. Battle Chip Challenge joins the Wii U's eShop catalog this week alongside recently released series entries Mega Man 5 and Mega Man Battle Network.
Retrogaming fans can also get their hands on the NES version of Double Dragon 2 via the Wii U's Virtual Console service this week. Double Dragon 2 arrives with its two-player option intact, but please be considerate if you have friendly fire enabled -- your partner probably won't be too happy if an errant whirlwind kick ends them flying off a cliff.
Nintendo has more NES classics in store for the Wii U eShop by the end of the month, including Konami's Gradius follow-up Life Force and Donkey Kong Jr. Math, an early 8-bit release that commands a surprisingly high price on eBay despite its formulaic gameplay.
Other Wii U eShop highlights this week include Ubiquitous Entertainment's vertically scrolling shoot'em-up Gaiabreaker and PhobosLab's twin-stick shooter XType Plus. while 3DS owners can look forward to Collavier's action-puzzler Amida's Path and a demo version of the upcoming Cooking Mama 5: Bon Appétit! A full list of this week's featured games is after the break below.
- Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge (Capcom, 1 player, $8)
- Double Dragon 2: The Revenge (Aksys Games, 2 players, $5)
- Gaiabreaker (Ubiquitous Entertainment, 1 player, $15)
- Soon Shine (Dahku, 1 player, $2)
- XType Plus (PhobosLab, 1 player, $3)
- Gothic Masquerade (Selectsoft, 1 player, $5)
- Amida's Path (Collavier, 1 player, $5)
- Cooking Mama 5: Bon Appétit! (Demo) (Majesco, 1 player, Free)