Elsewhere in the report, NPD says that total new, physical video game sales are down by 9 percent to $5.06 billion, and video game hardware is down a total of 16 percent to $1.84 billion. In fact, the only tracked category that saw year-over-year growth in December was video game accessories -- the PlayStation Move and Kinect pushed that category up 10 percent from last December to sales of $853 million.
Hit the break to see the best-selling titles of December 2010, according to the NPD's numbers. World of Warcraft's Cataclysm expansion makes a solid appearance at No. 3, and Disney Epic Mickey's status as a "core" game on console with a largely casual audience didn't hurt sales too much, apparently -- it came in at No. 6.
Top 10 best-selling games for December 2010:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops – 360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC – Activision Blizzard
- Just Dance 2 – Wii – Ubisoft
- World of Warcraft: Cataclysm – PC – Activision Blizzard
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood – 360, PS3 – Ubisoft
- Donkey Kong Country Returns – Wii – Nintendo
- Disney Epic Mickey – Wii – Disney Interactive Studios
- Madden NFL 11 – 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP – Electronic Arts
- Michael Jackson The Experience – Wii, NDS, PSP – Ubisoft
- NBA 2K11 – 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC – Take Two Interactive
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit – 360, PS3, Wii, PC – Electronic Arts